Paired with a bolt tensioner, the external tension nut provides a solution for standard applications in which there are no exposed threads above the existing nut.
External Tensioned Nut
The Riverhawk Externally Tensioned Nut provides an easy transition from torqued hardware to tensioned hardware. Until now, it has not been possible to replace torqued hardware with tensioned hardware unless there was a significant amount of thread protruding above the nut. Historically, retrofit has been accomplished by replacing the studs. However, with the application of our External Tensioned Nut, this is no longer the case.
Paired with a Riverhawk bolt tensioner the externally tensioned Nut is the perfect tensioning solution in applications in which there are no exposed threads above the existing nut. The Externally Tensioned Nut is designed to fit inside the clearance envelope of ANSI standard heavy hex nuts.
Externally Tensioned Nut Overview
- Retrofitting Capabilities
- Change from Torquing to Tensioning without replacing studs
- Radial footprint no larger than that of existing nut
- Replaces any existing nut (i.e. hex, 12 point, cap, etc.)
- Simple Installation
- One-person installation and removal
- No Extended Stud Thread Required
- ID threaded to fit onto existing stud, and threaded on the OD to allow for the tensioner to grip the stud to be tensioned
- Material Substitution
- Nut material can be optimized for higher loads or temperature concerns
If the application requires a smaller envelope or even higher loads in the stud, there are several custom options available. These custom options include the use of a washer under the nut to better distribute the load and higher strength materials to withstand greater preloads while remaining in the existing nut’s radial footprint.
No downloads available, check back soon!