Talon Crosshead Nut - Hydraulic Nuts
Talon Crosshead Nuts, Riverhawk’s newest hydraulic nut design, are highly engineered to meet both safety and longevity needs of all reciprocating compressor OEMs and users. Through this cutting edge design both rod fatigue and rod straightness, obstacles with conventional torque style nuts, are simply eliminated. Hydraulic force exerted equally around the entire 360 degrees of the Talon allows the rod to pull straight. Conventional jack type nuts may bend the piston rod. This creates a stress riser in the rod, ultimately increasing the possibility of catastrophic failure. The use of a spherical washer between the hydraulic nut and the crosshead creates an adjustable interface eliminating rod bending therefore promoting long life. Riverhawk continues to exhibit safety as a top priority in each and every design.
How it Works
The Talon consists of 4 basic parts for crosshead applications.
Retainer, Piston, Cylinder, and Spherical Washer
- 1. The hydraulic nut is then threaded onto the rod. Once the hydraulic pump is in place, hydraulic fluid(pressure) is applied through the piston into the cylinder.
- *At this point the stud is stretched and tension applied through hydraulic pressure
- 2. To begin installation, Slide the spherical washer onto the rod.
- *Create the adjustable interface between the nut and the crosshead preventing rod bending
- 3. The Retainer is now threaded down to transfer the load created by hydraulic pressure to that same load in a mechanical state.
- *Therefore the retainer “retains” the load.
Accurate and repeatable preloading
Maintains straightness of piston rod
Designed to optimize rod fatigue life
Reduce installation time and increase Saftey
- Reciprocating Compressors
- - Crosshead Connections
- - Drive Rod Connections